Skin care isn’t a facet of personal care that is as widely talked about as other tasks, but is essential to keeping older adults healthy nevertheless. Aging skin care issues can cause a wide variety of difficulties for seniors, including discomfort, dryness, bruising, itching, and more.
With ample experience and training on care needs for older adults, the home care professionals at Carolina Hearts Home Care implement effective strategies to keep older adults safe and healthy from head to toe, and that includes healthy skin. Below, our senior care experts have outlined some of the common skin problems in aging, and some skin care tips for elderly adults to help promote healthy aging.
According to Medscape, an overwhelming majority of adults over age 65 are bothered by dry, itchy, flaky skin, which is the result of a reduction in sweat and oil glands.
How to help:
- Consider taking less frequent baths or showers, utilizing warm (not hot) water, lightly drying the skin, and applying moisturizer
- See if “dry bath” products work well for the older adult; these clean the skin and hair without using water
- Try utilizing milder soaps and shampoos, like those with Nizoral for seniors with special skin conditions, and always apply sunscreen prior to going outside
- Ensure the older adult drinks plenty of liquids and use a humidifier to hydrate the skin
- Avoid skin-irritants, such as:
- Too much exposure to the sun
Bruising is common among older adults, resulting from thinner skin and less fat and connective tissue that can contribute to a weakening of the support surrounding blood vessels.
How to help:
- To minimize the inflammation and size of a bruise, place a cold compress over the bruise for about 20 minutes
- Try to keep bruised areas elevated as much as possible
- Encourage the senior to get plenty of vitamin C, which increases collagen
- Help the senior quit smoking, as smoking diminishes collagen production
The professional caregivers at Carolina Hearts Home Care are experienced at assisting with aging skin care needs, and we’re here to offer care to your aging loved ones through bathing/moisturizing, inspecting for changes in the skin, avoiding bed sores, and implementing a custom care plan to ensure all care needs are met in the comfort of home. Call us any time at 1-855-277-2005 to learn more about our home care in Raeford and the surrounding areas. Please see our full service area [E8] to find out if our team of caring professionals is available in your community.