Family members who provide COPD care for an older loved one know that outdoor air pollution can make symptoms worse. But did you know that compromised air quality in the house can also worsen COPD symptoms? Cleaning the air within the home can help individuals with COPD – and the others in the home – breathe easier and better manage COPD and its challenges.
The professional caregivers at Carolina Hearts Home Care suggest the following strategies to help manage COPD symptoms:
- Ban Indoor Smoking. Never smoke or allow others to smoke inside the home. If the home contains a wood stove or fireplace, consider that it can also be an irritant for a loved one with COPD.
- Avoid Exposure to Chemicals. Chemicals in the home, such as cleaning products and paint, can exacerbate COPD symptoms, so limit their use. Additionally, be sure to always keep lids on cleaning products to reduce fumes when not in use. Consider using cleaning solutions with natural ingredients, such as baking soda and vinegar.
- Reduce Dust. Wash bed linens each week, clear away clutter, and make sure pets stay off furniture to reduce the quantity of dust and dander.
- Purify the Air in the Residence. Utilize an air filtration device with a HEPA filter. Though air pollution is not as much a concern in rural areas as it is in the city, a loved one with COPD will benefit from filtered air to get rid of irritants and toxins.
- Maintain Clean Floors. Maintaining floors that are swept and clean minimizes allergen buildup. Keep in mind that hardwood floors are much easier to keep in an allergen-free condition than rugs and carpeting.
- Use a Humidifier. Dry air may exacerbate COPD, as can air that is too damp. For optimal management of COPD symptoms, strive for a level of around 40% humidity within the home.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the help of Carolina Hearts Home Care. We can provide:
- Beneficial educational information regarding COPD care and management
- Exercise tips to ease symptoms
- Dietary and nutrition tips
- Skills to better manage symptoms
- And a broad range of home care services
Expert-level care from extensively trained and experienced home care professionals begins with an in-home consultation to develop a personalized care plan to address your loved one’s care needs. Contact us at 1-855-277-2005 to explore options for Aberdeen home health care and discuss the availability of in-home senior care in North Carolina or South Carolina. Learning more about the many ways professional home care can support aging care and independent living begins with a phone call to schedule your free in-home consultation. Please see our full service area and find answers to frequently asked questions.