The holiday season is loaded with get-togethers, celebrations, and parties. But for an elderly loved one, holiday outings call for a little supplemental planning. Follow these guidelines from the home care experts in Lumberton and the surrounding areas at Carolina Hearts Home Care to help the whole family enjoy relaxed and fun holiday activities for seniors.
Before leaving the house, think about:
- How much walking will be required, and if there will be parking nearby
- Whether the destination is flat or has steps or hills to climb
- If it is wheelchair-accessible (if appropriate)
- If there is cover and shade
- Where the bathrooms are
- Whether there are seats available if the older adult needs to rest
Make sure to be prepared for a wide variety of potential plan changes:
- Ensure that you have all required medicines with you, and take an additional supply, just in case the outing takes longer or takes an unexpected turn
- Have appropriate clothing along with rain and sun protection
- Bring snacks and drinks, in case of a delay
Need some holiday outing recommendations that seniors might enjoy? Take into consideration the following:
- Take a relaxing family drive to view the area holiday lights
- If it’s possible and welcomed, invite the older person to your home to help with decorating for the holidays
- Bring the senior to a holiday party at the local senior center
- Attend community plays; in addition to the local theater or ballet, there are reasonably priced plays and shows given by local schools
When participating in any holiday activities for seniors, take your time and create a relaxing environment to make sure your loved one is happy and comfortable. The Lumberton home care professionals at Carolina Hearts Home Care can offer assistance by maximizing a senior’s independence while providing exceptional in-home care over the course of the holidays and throughout the rest of the year!
Contact our dedicated senior care professionals by calling 1-855-277-2005, or complete our simple online contact form, to find out more. See the full list of areas we service throughout the Carolinas here.