Home is where we can truly relax and be ourselves, and that’s just part of why so many people make the decision to continue to remain at home through their golden years. But oftentimes wheelchairs come to be a part of life when individuals or those with particular disabilities experience decreased mobility. This can be especially challenging when it comes to ensuring that the home is a safe place. But a few home adjustments for older adults and those with disabilities can substantially improve wheelchair safety for seniors at home.
Below are just a handful of modifications recommended to incorporate a wheelchair into the home:
- Make sure walkways and driveways are smooth, but not slippery.
- Install a ramp to the front door which includes landings at the bottom and the top.
- Doorways ought to be 32-36 inches wide with sufficient floor space near the doors to move a wheelchair.
- Thresholds on doors need to be ¼ inch or less.
- Cabinet shelves should be a maximum of 10 inches deep.
- Controls on the oven should be positioned at the front.
- Ensure that there is knee space underneath all sinks.
- Oven doors should be able to swing open to the side.
- For deeper shelves, utilize a Lazy Susan to make it possible for the person to reach all items.
- Bathrooms should have either a wheelchair accessible tub with a 60-inch turning radius or T-turn space, or a curbless, stand-up shower at least 36 inches wide.
- There should be plenty of room to transfer from wheelchair to toilet.
- Walk-in closets are great for people who use wheelchairs, but a closet organizer that gives the person the ability to reach all items is also good.
Additionally, floors should be free of clutter, and furniture should be arranged for maximum maneuverability.
Carolina Hearts Home Care, providers of home health care in Raeford and the surrounding areas, can also assist with home modification ideas and coordination to increase wheelchair safety for seniors. The first step is our free in-home evaluation, where we will put together a comprehensive care plan to address the individual’s specific care needs and wishes, and then we will monitor that plan ongoing and modify as needs change.
Our Raeford area home health care services are available for just a few hours each week, up through full-time, around-the-clock care. Contact us online or call us any time at 1-855-277-2005 to learn more! We also provide home care services to the surrounding cities.