As a progressively degenerating neurological illness, ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease) can cause a broad range of physical difficulties that can lead to clinical depression. For individuals caring for someone with ALS, its difficult not to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about how to help the individual live life to the fullest and remain positive.
When caring for someone with ALS at home, it is important for family caregivers to grasp the challenges that the disease causes in order to offer the absolute best care.
Carolina Hearts Home Care, providing exceptional home care in Rockingham, Hamlet, Laurel Hill, and the surrounding areas, has put together the following recommendations to help ensure the best care for individuals living with ALS:
- Set up a computer and internet access. Computers, along with other assistive systems, provide entertainment and social interaction and make it possible for the person with ALS to help with tasks like paying bills, tracking down information, hiring services, and shopping.
- Use adaptive devices. The utilization of adaptive equipment such as wheelchairs is a move in the direction of self-sufficiency, not away from it. Adaptive tools are obtainable for assorted daily tasks, like eating, opening jars and doors, buttoning or zipping up clothing, writing, and taking a shower.
- Ask if the person wants help before assisting. Do not take over tasks that still can be performed if the person is provided with adaptive tools and time.
- Patience is vital. Although it may often seem quicker and more efficient to take over certain tasks, show patience and allow the person to accomplish the tasks that they can.
- People with muscle diseases like ALS are competent thinkers, even if they are generally unable to communicate clearly. Examine choices openly while making joint decisions about the individual’s ALS care.
How Can Home Care Help Someone With ALS?
For individuals with Lou Gehrig’s disease, self-reliance and excellent ALS care are essential. The home care experts at Carolina Hearts Home Care are extensively trained and experienced in providing the care and support needed to ensure those with ALS live their best lives, including assistance with:
- Safely taking baths or showers
- Grocery shopping and other errands
- Transportation and accompaniment
- Mobility and transfers
- Light housekeeping, laundry, and meals
- And more