Although the holiday season is typically thought about as a time that is joyful, full of spending time with family and friends who are near and dear to us and choosing the perfect gifts, for seniors, it can be anything but merry and bright. A blend of lost loved ones, memories of holidays past, health problems and more can hit older adults with loneliness and sorrow.
At Carolina Hearts Home Care, providers of Rockingham elder care and care throughout the nearby areas, we care deeply about making certain that seniors feel included in the festivities and enjoy the holiday season to the fullest. The following holiday activities for older adults can help everyone enjoy the wonder of the season together:
- Develop a cookbook with recipes from family members. Collect all the recipes together, and then print and copy your new family cookbook.
- Take a drive to enjoy holiday lights in an old neighborhood that the senior used to live in.
- If your senior loved one has trouble getting around to put up holiday decorations, offer your assistance! This is a great way to share memories of past holidays and the story behind different decorations. Carolina Hearts Home Care can also supply assistance with holiday decorating.
- For a holiday that is really relaxing, plan time together at a local salon or spa. You can even arrange for a local beautician or masseuse to come to the senior’s home if it’s possible.
Safety precautions may also come into play for your older loved one, for a variety of reasons: increased fall risks with all of the extra holiday decorations, issues with sticking with a prescribed dietary plan, and for those with dementia, interruption to routine, extra visitors to the home, and higher noise levels can all lead to stress.
Bear the following in mind to make sure seniors are safe and content all season long:
- Keep decoration safety in mind. Make sure that there are clear walking paths, and try to utilize simple, uncluttered decorations.
- Reduced lighting can cover up things that older adults could possibly trip over, like extension cords.
- Designate a quiet area for the senior if the excitement of young children, loud music and activities become overwhelming.
- Appoint someone to be the senior’s “buddy” for the event, making sure his or her needs are fully met and creating a bond that is wonderful for both.
The holiday season can certainly be fun and relaxing for everyone. With just a little pre-planning and additional thought, seniors will enjoy the holidays as much as everyone else, creating new memories that the whole family will take pleasure in for a lifetime.
And, if in the middle of the holiday hustle and bustle you could use the help of a professional caregiver, the Rockingham elder care experts at Carolina Hearts Home Care are here to help! Call us at 1-855-277-2005 to learn more about how we can brighten the holiday season for you and your family and for more ideas for fun activities for older adults to enjoy this holiday season.